Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Lesson #5: Hungry for Johnny Cupcakes!

Once very blue moon [not the beer] I come across a story that arouses my drive to succeed. I was on Facebook chatting with an old friend about working with him as a mentor for "Don't Get Fooled University", the nonprofit division of DGFU that will assist in the transition from high school to college life, when he brought up a familiar name... "Johnny Cupcakes".

I did my research and found out that the college drop out behind the multi-million dollar company started from nothing in the back of his old Toyota. I used to work at a store on Melrose and once on my lunch break walked into Johnny Cupcakes to get a little snack to find that it was actually a clothing store. A little disappointed, and still hungry as hell for rich red velvet, I moved on and never thought about the name until last night. By thinking out of the box, the Boston native was able to build a global company step by step to where it is today. Johnny Cupcakes’ story reminds me a lot of what I want with my own clothing line, DGFU.

Not only does he have a inventive t-shirt line, but he also holds extremely popular seminars all over the country that brings tenfolds of young [and old] entrepreneurs to listen and be educated on how Johnny Cupcakes did it! He was voted America's #1 Young Entrepreneur in 2008 and started a company with no start up loans, college degree, advertisers, or investors. He has successful stores in the Boston area, Los Angeles, and is carried is stores around the world. Driving the message of leaving the beer pong table and getting what you need done, Johnny Cupcakes beats the man in the Everett College commercial when it comes to getting your butt up off the couch.

As a recent college graduate and someone who thought they found their dream post college job, I quickly learned that I was put on this Earth to be my own boss. It was always the goal to work for myself, but never knew when exactly that was going to happen. So, why not now? While many are out of work and blaming America’s financial drought for their economic hardships, many people, especially the younger generations, are starting their own things and making life work for them. Now is the time where individuals need to start thinking outside of the box and press forward. "Get er done!"


Johnny Cupcakes Website:
http://www.johnnycupcakes.com/

"Man, WHAT Recession?!" Past blog on the younger generation making it in the recession
http://jayce-iinc.blogspot.com/2010/03/man-what-recession.html

No comments:

Post a Comment